Volunteers Needed for EFBPS' 2023 Reading Rocks Program
May 30, 2023
Add a beautiful chapter to your "book" by signing up to volunteer at the Education Foundation for Billings Public Schools' summer 2023 Reading Rocks program. Held in conjunction with School District 2's free lunch program in the city parks, Reading Rocks runs Monday-Thursday, June 12 through July 20. (No Reading Rocks on July 3 or 4).
What is Reading Rocks?
Since 2013, Reading Rocks has grown from giving 450 books away to 6,000 books in 2022. Volunteer efforts are what make this program possible summer after summer. This summer literacy program aims to help students avoid the summer slump, providing children with free books, reading mentorship, and storytelling by community leaders.
At Reading Rocks, there are guest story tellers (who sometimes add a related hands-on activity to their efforts), volunteers helping children with their reading skills, and they are able to choose their own book to take home. EFBPS is "excited to help students grow their home libraries and improve their literacy over the summer."
So, how can you help? Let's dive in:
In order to volunteer at Reading Rocks, you'll first need to fill out the electronic volunteer form. On that form, you can select as many or as few days as you're able to share your time. In-person and virtual volunteer training dates will occur ahead of Reading Rocks' kickoff on June 12 at Central Park. Volunteers also receive a t-shirt so that they're easily identifiable to the kiddos.
Here are a few ways that you can get involved with the Reading Rocks program:
- Volunteer as a storyteller who reads a short book. The storyteller may also offer an activity for the children that relates to your organization in a fun and interesting way.
- Volunteer to talk about topics of interest (e.g. a fireman talks about fire safety, a bicyclist discusses rules of the road and bicycle parts, an artist describes how he/she makes a sculpture, etc.).
- Volunteer to assist in distributing books at Reading Rocks locations and times.
- Donate gently used or new books to be distributed throughout the program. Interested people may drop books off at the Lincoln Center and leave a note with their information on it and that the books should be directed to the Education Foundation.
If you enjoy books and working with kids, then this is the summer adventure you've been waiting for! REGISTER TODAY!
Reading Rocks 2023 schedule:
- Mondays at Orchard Elementary (on west end of school) - Noon-1pm
- Mondays at Castle Rock Park (next to splash park) - Noon-1pm
- Tuesdays at Central Park (near the baseball bleachers) - Noon-1pm
- Tuesdays at Pioneer Park (next to the kids pool) - Noon-1pm
- Wednesdays at Hawthorne Park (1752 Columbine Dr.) - Noon-1pm
- Wednesdays at Terry Park (3231 Granger Ave E) - Noon-1pm
- Thursdays at Central Park (near the baseball bleachers) - Noon-1pm
- Thursdays at Pioneer Park (next to the kids pool) - Noon-1pm
- Thursday evening at South Park (southeast corner of park) - 5-6pm
A BIG thank you to the supporters that make Reading Rocks possible:
- Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation
- Friends of Billings Public Library
- Centennial Youth Foundation
- RBC Foundation
- Downtown Exchange Club Billings
- Billings West Rotary
- Billings Association of REALTORS
- Town Pump Foundation
- Mary Alice Fortin Foundation for Youth Enrichment
- Billings Community Foundation
- Believe in Reading
- Walmart Community Foundation
- Nora Roberts Foundation
- Bibliophile's Book Club
- This House of Books
- Reading is Fundamental Books for Ownership Program