Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
March 12, 2020 | by b davis
Corned Beef and Cabbage is a popular St. Patrick’s Day recipe. Normally the beef is made in the slow cooker, but cooking it in the Instant Pot drastically shortens the amount of cook time. Be sure to check out the Billings St. Patrick’s Day Parade and then head home and enjoy a few plates of the Corned Beef.
- 1 (3-pound) corned beef brisket, plus pickling spice packet
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.9 ounce) Guinness beer
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1-pound small potatoes
- 3 large carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, cut into 2-inch wedges
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse brisket with cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
- Place onion and garlic into an instant pot. Gently place brisket on top of the onion mixture and sprinkle with pickling spice. Top with beer and beef broth.
- Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 85 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Remove beef from the instant pot; keep warm. Remove and discard onion mixture, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid in the Instant Pot.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots, top with cabbage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 4 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure.
- Thinly slice corned beef against the grain and serve with potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
- Rinsing the brisket isn’t required but recommended to minimize the saltiness.
- If you do a larger piece of meat, be sure to adjust the cook time.
There you have it, an “all day meal” made in less than 2 hours with very minimal prep work! Enjoy with your favorite beverage and “May your troubles be less and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door!” (Irish blessing)
Recipe adapted from https://damndelicious.net/2019/03/06/instant-pot-corned-beef-and-cabbage/
B Davis is a local mom with two kids, a girl and a boy. She is a stay at home mom who loves to find and cook new meals, keep the kids busy with free events, and binge watch lots of TV shows. In her free time, she likes to catch up with her mom friends, go on dates with her husband, and volunteer at her church.