2022 Symphony in the Park | June 26
June 1, 2022 | updated 6/13/22
Symphony in the Park | Pioneer Park
Sunday, June 26, 2022
10:00 PM— 3:00 AMUTC
Friends, it's Billings Symphony's 50th anniversary of the beloved summer staple, Symphony in the Park! Bring your blankets and lawn chairs to kick back under our beautiful Big Sky and enjoy an evening of (free) exquisitely performed music. Kiddos will enjoy discovering the magic of music at the Instrument Petting Zoo (4-5pm & 6-6:45pm) and giving their batons a whirl at the Kids Conducting Contest (6:45-7pm). Billings Symphony is scheduled to take the stage from 7-9pm. This year’s Symphony in the Park concert features special guests Paige and the People’s Band, with two of their original songs arranged specially for this concert. The evening will also feature the Armed Forces Salute and the 1812 Overture (complete with cannons!). You'll be able to round out your experience with picnic fair from participating food trucks.
Schedule of Events
- 4pm: Montana Fiddle Club sponsored by Billings Youth Orchestra
- Instrument Petting Zoo and concessions open
- 5pm: Billings Community Band
- *Instrument Petting Zoo closed during music performances
- 6:45pm: Kids Conducting Contest
- Wands available for purchase at Symphony Information Tent
- 7pm: Billings Symphony Orchestra featuring Paige & the Peoples Band
(subject to change):
- The Star-Spangled Banner featuring the VFW Post 6774 & The Marine Corps League and Paige Rasmussen
- The Cowboys Overture by John Williams
- South Pacific: Symphonic Scenario for Orchestra by Rodgers and Hammerstein/arr. Bennett
- My Way to the Surface and A Lighter and Kiss featuring Paige & the People’s Band
- Kids Conducting Contest: Hands Across the Sea by Sousa
- Armed Forces Salute arr. by Lowden
Intermission— Watch for the Bucket Brigade! (St. Vincent Foundation is generously matching all donations up to $2,500 given during Symphony in the Park. The Bucket Brigade will be out at intermission collecting donations. Watch for Billings Symphony board members and volunteers in orange vests or text BSOC to 41444 to donate.)
- Gershwin Medley
- The Jungle Book Medley
- Carousel and Freestyle featuring Paige & the People’s Band
- Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture
In the Know
- Paige and the Peoples Band – Formed in 2016, Paige and the People’s band keep the crowd bumping and the energy climbing. This horn powered group fuses rock, soul, funk and has shared the stage with such musical legends as The Doobie Brothers, Lyle Lovett, Brandie Carlile, and Mike McCready. Voted Bozeman’s Choice for three years in a row, Paige and the People’s Band were also featured on 11th and Grant with Eric Funk on PBS. The episode later went on to win an Emmy Award for best audio.
- Instrument Petting Zoo – Ever wonder how much breath it takes to play a tuba or a flute? Or how the bow feels in your hand when playing a viola or a cello? Thanks to Eckroth Music, you can experience a variety of instruments up close. This free hands-on event is fun for the whole family! Sponsored by Crowley Fleck.
- Kids Conducting Contest – This annual tradition has become a favorite for the young and the young at heart. Children are invited to come down to the front of the stage at 6:45pm to conduct a march by John Philip Sousa. Guest judges will select four winners, who will get to conduct the orchestra on Sousa’s Hands Across the Sea. We’re excited to welcome back all our budding musicians! Wands are available for purchase at the Symphony Information Tent. Sponsored by Mayor Bill & Anne Cole.
- Reserved Parking – For $10, you can reserve parking in the Senior High parking lot, located adjacent to Pioneer Park. A golf cart shuttle will be available to drive you right to the action! Parking passes can be purchased in advance at billingssymphony.org or the day of (cash only). Limited spots are available and are first come, first served. Handicapped parking (with proper permit) is available for no fee.
- Reserved Seating – Bring your own lawn chair and enjoy creekside seating under a shade tent, complete with a cash bar, so you can have it Made in the Shade! Purchase a $15 wristband at billingssymphony.org in advance or day-of at the event (cash only). Seating is limited and is first come, first served.
- Golf Cart Shuttle – We offer a golf cart shuttle at no charge from two locations. Pickup and drop-off at 3rd Street West (by the wading pool in Pioneer Park) and at the far edge of the Senior High parking lot (back north corner). Tips are accepted and will benefit our Symphony education programs.
- Food Vendors include Khanthaly’s Eggrolls, Rollin’ Ritos, I’m Cravin Bar-B-Que, Crepe Diem, Opa Grill, Georgette’s Galettes, Snow Drift Snow Cones (Snowie), Spicy Cow LLC, and Ceci's Popcorn, Singing Mountain Pies, and Wilcoxson’s Ice Cream. Visit the Information tent to purchase ice cold bottled water; wands for the Kids Conducting Contest are for sale as well. There will be an ATM machine available behind the info tent.