14 Ways to Spread Kindness, Love Others, and Let Our Hearts Shine Bright!
February 8, 2022
by katie jones backer
We could use a little more kindness, love, and light in our lives… and schools. Here are a few ideas to encourage others around us this Valentine’s Day.
- Say “I love you” to the special people in your life.
- Give a compliment. You never know the power of a kind word.
- Help someone near you.
- Say “thank you.”
- Put your phone down and listen. Show respect and that you are present in the conversation.
- Give a flower… or two… or a dozen!
- Send a Valentine’s Day card to someone who needs cheering up.
- Pay-It-Forward in the drive-through.
- Give treats… to a neighbor. A loved one. Your classmates. The fire department. The school staff. Go as big as you want.
- Donate to a local organization.
- Give an extra big tip to your server when you dine with your sweetheart.
- Make a new friend. If you see a kid alone at school, invite him/her to sit with you at lunch.
- Share your smile.
- Call your grandparents.
“Let us always meet each other with smile,
for the smile is the beginning of love.”
Another cute idea…
When I was the Student Council Adviser at Senior High in 2017, my students had the idea to cut out heart-shaped paper and write positive notes. They then wanted to hang them on ALL of the lockers in the school. If you’re familiar with Senior High, you know that’s no small feat. There are A LOT of lockers… three floors of them! But with a team of brilliant teenagers, a gazillion paper hearts, rolls of blue tape, and one tired, but inspired teacher, we did it! I will never forget watching the kids and staff arrive to school on Valentine’s Day, finding a note just for them. Messages like: You’re awesome. Let your light shine. Be my Valentine. And You Matter, flooded the school. Now those are the kind of notes I’m okay with my students passing!
Happy Valentine’s Day from all of us here at Simply Local. We are grateful for you.